This position focuses on Mechanical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering Design within the commercial, healthcare and federal HVAC design areas.
The Engineer will be responsible for supporting and assisting with the engineering development and design of mechanical, plumbing, and fire protection construction documents associated with new buildings and renovations for consulting design projects, design-build projects, and performance contract projects. The Engineer should have a keen understanding of Mechanical Engineering Design and the design of improvements for large scale, commercial and federal HVAC systems. With supervision, the Engineer will work under the direction of the Manager/Engineer from project conception through construction completion. Associated responsibilities include but are not limited to engineering design and drafting activities, specification writing support, cost estimating, limited field investigations and construction site visits, support of HVAC load calculations and modeling, hydraulic calculations, and coordination with others. Duties also include performing site visits, supporting energy savings calculations, and developing cost budgets and written descriptions of energy conservation measures.
- Assist in the design of mechanical, plumbing and fire protection systems for new and renovated building construction on consulting that will be constructed by the Owner’s contractor.
- Assist in the design and construction of mechanical, plumbing, and fire protection systems for building retrofit construction on design-build projects.
- Support the studies and analyses of mechanical and plumbing systems documenting the conditions, presenting cost effective solutions, and generating reports with recommendations.
- Conduct code research in support of project development. Research and apply current technology and stay abreast of new and upcoming technologies.
- Develop and use working knowledge of central plants, HVAC, chillers, boilers, air handlers, variable speed drives, motors, etc. for project development.
- Perform/attend job site visits to verify and document existing construction conditions and to observe and document the contractor’s work.
- Assist with select engineering calculations for equipment and systems sizing. Perform building cooling and heating load calculations and energy use using computer modeling programs such as HAP, Trace, Energy Gauge Summit, ASHRAE Modified Bin Analysis.
- Assist with the energy audit walk-thrus of facilities to document existing conditions and identify retrofit opportunities for energy conservation.
- Undergraduate (BS) degree in mechanical or related engineering.
- Engineer I requires MEP (HVAC) Design experience and must demonstrate relative experience and the aptitude to quickly learn the requirements of the position.
- Over 2 years of experience in mechanical design-build projects is preferred.
- Familiarity with LEED and green building design is preferred.
- Experience in energy analysis to identify and develop energy conservation measures for PC and design build projects is preferred.
- Able to interact effectively across organizational boundaries to achieve goals and meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with building mechanical systems.
- Good leadership, verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
- Engineering, analytical and technical writing skills with attention to detail.
- Skillful with computer software including word processing and spreadsheet analyses.
- Building energy use modeling and simulation experience is desirable (e.g. eQUEST, HAP, DOE2, Trane Trace, ASHRAE Modified Bin Analysis).
- AutoCAD experience required.
- Travel up to 30% of time with multiple overnight trips.