The Operations Director will manage construction-related activities and coordinate with legal and finance teams. Once a project is fully operational, the Operations Director will oversee Measurement & Verification (M&V) and sustainability reporting, liaise with the finance team and manage customer relations pertaining to issues with operational projects.
A key determinant of success in this position will be a strong ability to work effectively with others, both partnering with internal parties (legal, sales and finance) and managing external parties (customers, Energy Services Companies (ESCOs) and independent engineers).
The successful candidate can be based anywhere in the U.S. that is accessible for travel both to customer sites and company headquarters in San Francisco, CA. Reporting directly to the CEO, the Director of Operations will be a key part of the company’s leadership team and support a wide range of activities, including:
- Representing company’s interests on technical and engineering matters related to the development, construction, commissioning and operation of our projects
- Managing and reviewing: (i) preliminary and detailed energy assessments prepared by ESCOs, and (ii) project-level reports prepared by IEs
- Directing all project-related M&V activities, including reviewing initial M&V plans from ESCOs and ongoing annual reports for our operational deals
- Serving as a technical resource in targeted areas to help support sales
- Assessing options to utilize technology to improve project operations
We value diversity in backgrounds and ideas and strive to build a culture where equity and inclusion matter.
Experience & Qualifications
The successful individual will need to demonstrate:
- Minimum 10 years of technical experience in evaluating, developing, or operating energy efficiency and/or renewable energy projects
- Demonstrated experience with management of construction projects
- Strong energy efficiency engineering and performance contracting background with an in-depth understanding of M&V protocols used to calculate energy savings
- A solutions-oriented mindset that can accurately assess, solve, implement and communicate solutions to internal and external parties
- Strong commercial and financial savvy – understands energy efficiency and renewable energy project economics
- Exceptional communications and strong interpersonal skills that can serve as a senior representative in a wide range of customer and partner discussions
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to lead indirectly (i.e., get things done by working effectively with other internal and external parties)
- A strong attention to detail in overseeing and performing quality assurance and project reviews on investments
- A B.S. in engineering is strongly desired and either a PE or CEM is preferred.